Coaching and the resulting resistance …
Resistance to change, resistance to change, the resistance of the unknown … Familiar such a state? …
Normal for the average person, when skepticism and distrust is not entirely clear, obscure things, events, people who apply for extension of the experience of others is part of human nature, a kind of “protection” primary “filter” which is to take care of human security, his “survival” in the society. Therefore, all new and unknown automatically perceived as “unsafe” and easier to garden, to express negative as a defensive reaction to escape, to run away, turn away, refuse. Because man is not clear, not visible, it is not clear what will happen later, after the change ?! As these changes will take place? …
And with people: as long as we are human not know, he / she will remain strangers to us, and even “hostile” (and this is the question of how human perception is tuned to the world of psychology, “the world around enemy and threatens” or ” the world is benevolent, positive, is good, presents challenges and lessons for development “) and with the concepts / phenomena that can be confusing, unavailable,” malicious “:) …. Why am I writing all?) … I am writing about coaching and coach) … Faced once again with resisting perception of coaching.
To begin with – briefly about what is coaching in my life.
How do I perceive myself as a man …, the principles of which are: development and again development, above all, themselves, the constant work on myself, improving the emotional, intellectual, spiritual and physical side definitely! And the development of others. Who then I am learning itself and take an example. And I find it strange when a person has no authority and people, causing a deep respect. Como something I can help, support, pass on their knowledge, skills, tried and tested, accumulated over four decades. My values is spirituality, goodness, beauty, harmony of relations and internal harmony, the integrity of the internal and in the system of interaction with the environment, health, family, money as a means to improve life for themselves, family, friends, their business, thanks to which I can develop myself and develop others, those who are willing and ready to change. Can there be a balance and harmony in all? I think objectively that there is, but to strive for this inherent in humanity, in the person, and I think it is correct.
Since childhood, from 8-10 years (and this 80-ies of the last vekaJ), for the analysis of the world around me, people interaction, building relationships of mutual understanding, environment for development has become significant. Since my childhood, my youth, I knew that every person has the potential, everyone has his opinion the best of intentions, and he knows the best ways to solve their problems, everyone has their own ideas and perceptions of the world, its own “map of reality” … 10 years I was engrossed in reading a book by Dale Carnegie “How to win friends and influence people.” It is worth re-read and no time, I think … So the basic principles of coaching (this I understand now that it is so called) have been my family since childhood, and I they lived, it was a style of my life, perception of the world … and a lot of tricks, techniques enjoyed intuitively … I like the principles and approaches,
Now, becoming a certified-coach master of international level, coach coaching, business coach, I understand that the positive, profound principles for the development and success in life, specific activity due to have studied and applied technologies, techniques, models of coaching, management models from the classics of management and related scientific fields, I should like a professional to bear in the world. And not everyone will openly and cheerfully accept, understand … And I ask myself: “Who said it would be easy?” … And calmly and confidently go forward … and no matter how much you can spotyknutsya, fall is important – how many times you get up and go further … If you look at the history of coaching … in the 80s and 90s of the last century, it is from that time, the notion of “coaching.” Originated the concept and method as a special form of training athletes, striving for perfection, victories in tennis, golf. For the first time used the term “coaching” in his book «The Inner Game of Tennis» in 1974. Timothy Galway (Timothy Gallwey), which is the foundation of coaching as the concept of inner game. Galway was the team captain a tennis team at Harvard University and a coach in tennis in the gym of California in the United States. Further ideas, technologies and approaches have become more widely popularize. Politicians, businessmen, public figures, too, have become interested in coaching as a method for achieving high goals. One of the founders and popularizers of coaching was John Whitmore (John Whitmore), which actively implement coaching in business. He was the author of the bestseller, which is still very popular and in demand in business and by professional coaching environment – the book «Coaching for Performance» or «Coaching high efficiency.” The idea of coaching, the results of its use became popular increasingly in the world, and in 1992 Thomas Leonard (Tomas Leonard) founded the first coaches University – Coach University, and in 1994 – the first international association of coaches – International Coach Federation (ICF), the most popular and received in the wider world community. He also created a number of other international associations such as the International Association of Certified Coaches (IAC). Significant contribution to the development of ideas and coaching technologies introduced Downey Miles (Myles Downey), explorer of human genius, one of the leading business coaches in Europe founder of the London School of Coaching, considered the co-creator of «The Inner Game of Tennis» inner game with Timothy Galway, author of “Effective Coaching”, co-founder of the Association of professional coaching for executives – (APECS). Like his saying: “Genius – is a talented person who works hard and hard to His genius is manifested in a particular area or activity, and not at all what he does.”. And genius is expressed in ideas, approaches, which are slightly or significantly ahead of the current era, the time … for example, like Einstein teaching. Genius – is a talented person who seriously and works hard. His genius is manifested in a particular area or activity, and not at all what he does. “And the genius is expressed in ideas, approaches, which are slightly or significantly ahead of the current era, the time … for example, like Einstein teaching. Genius – is a talented person who seriously and works hard. His genius is manifested in a particular area or activity, and not at all what he does. “And the genius is expressed in ideas, approaches, which are slightly or significantly ahead of the current era, the time … for example, like Einstein teaching.
Has made a significant contribution in the world of coaching, coaching in Russia Marilyn Atkinson – Doctor of Psychology, coach, world renowned trainer, which since 1985 is teaching and advisory activities in the leading corporations in the world and is the founder and president of the International University of Erickson (Canada). working in Russia for 16 years and raised several generations of Russian leaders, he had an enormous influence on the development of coaches, business – education in the CIS, on the formation of the concept of coaching. He is the author of numerous books about coaching.
Significant development of ideas, technology, coaching approaches, their addition have many well-known figures in the field of science and related fields:
– psychology self-help self-help (many seminars with such an approach to coaching is performed by Anthony Robbins, Zig Ziglar, Tom Peters, Brian Tracy);
– Positive Psychology (Martin Seligman, Mihaly Chiksenmihayi that recognize the idea of a change due to a lesser focus on the negative and failures, greater focus on the present and future good);
– organizational psychology and the psychology of work and spihologii relations as the older areas of knowledge (Frederick Taylor, MacGregor, Harrington Emerson, Elton Mayo, Abrahaam Maslow and others, revealing the issues of efficiency and productivity in the organization, method of analysis of labor organization that developed the 12 principles of performance. , an approach that the organization performance of each employee varies depending on how you relate to it management organization, the nature of human activity on the basis of needs);
– psychology of leadership and change (Stephen Covey – author of the famous bestseller “Seven highly effective people skills”, “Eighth skill” in which the author reveals the basic leadership skills, able to inspire hear himself; John Kotter – authority on leadership and change, the author of the business bestseller , conductor of ideas in business management, an outstanding entrepreneur, inspirational speaker, and Harvard business school professor who is the author of several books and inventor of the algorithm of the 8 steps to help implement the changes I in any situation, in the organization);
– differential psychology and developmental psychology (Raymond Cattell, who explored the nature of human personality, its development, change, motivation, dynamic features and has an interesting psychological research in the field of: humor (1947), musical preferences (1954), Leadership (1954), intelligence (1963), psychopathology (1966), creativity (1968) installed on the reaction (1968)), – psychotherapy and hypnosis (Emile Coue, a French pharmacist, created the method of autogenous self-hypnosis and popularized to a wide audience; Edmund Jacobson – Chicago doctor, the other author of the “forerunner” of autogenous training – a method of progressive muscle relaxation (1922), Johann Schultz, who developed an independent autogenous training method based on yoga (1932), Alexander Romain – the author of the active method of self-hypnosis, which consists of two stages: the creation of a state of rest, and then targeted autosuggestion (1967); Hanskarl Loyne – psychoanalyst, psychotherapist, physician, founder of the well-known technique / method “character drama” in the 50s-70s of the twentieth century, Joseph Volpe – a professor of psychiatry at the Medical College of Pennsylvania, author of 3 books on psychotherapy, dealing with the topic of behavioral psychotherapy, neurosis, alarms, the advancement condition of the person practicing techniques anger management, visualization, cognitive techniques; Milton Erickson – MD, founder and 1st president of the American Society of Clinical Hypnosis (American Society for Clinical Hypnosis), the most talented and popular in the world psychotherapist, hypnotherapist; Stephen Gilligan – author of the theory, the practice of generative trance);
– neurolinguistic technologies and systems thinking (the original founder John Grinder – American linguist, author, founder of NLP, Richard Bandler – American psychologist, philosopher, writer, founder of NLP, Gregory Bateson – British-American scientist whose works are interdisciplinary and explore a wide range of issues epistemology, cybernetics, information theory, anthropology, socialization, communication theory, ecology, Robert Dilts – creator of the famous pyramid of neurological levels, the author of numerous books, occupies an area of thinking strategies and belief system, Joseph O’Konnor- author of numerous books on NLP and systemic thinking, the founder of the International Coaching Association of the ICC, Andrew Pligin as the first “implementer” NLP in Russian)
– linguistics (James Flaherty, John Austin, Fernando Flores, John Searle, who considered coaching and linguistics metaphorically like “a man floating in the language like a fish in water”, specified the meanings of words, their understanding of how to define human capacities, the meaning of words in the regulation behavior and the creation of social perception of the world);
– Emotional Intelligence (Peter Salovey, John Mayer, which are almost popularizers basic modern concepts, theories of emotional intelligence, which includes four main components: the perception of one’s emotions, understanding / recognition of emotions, using emotions to stimulate thinking, the development of thinking and control their emotions, others ; Wayne Payne, worked on the theory of EI, Reuven Bar-On, who introduced in his doctoral thesis, the concept of emotional intelligence factor);
– Management (Peter Drucker – the founder of the organization based on control theory on the goals, objectives and method popularized setting SMART goals, Robert Kaplan, David Norton developed the Balanced Scorecard, Kurt Lewin – who developed the three phases changes). And, of course, a series of remarkable people who have made a contribution to science, theory and practice of coaching and related areas, influenced the development of coaching is not completed according to the list of names;
– philosophy, western, eastern, domestic, many ideas and approaches, for example, such as business ethics, identity issues, personal values, leadership, thinking strategies, – formed the basis of the principles of coaching.
Thus, the scope of coaching, which is a sufficient number of misunderstandings of people – it is a sphere, integrating, combining many related areas of science and practice, take advantage of a variety of methods, models, techniques, algorithms, principles, and approaches that promote human development, positive vzimootnosheny resolution, situations, improve and enhance the effectiveness of business organizations that do not contradict the basic principles of coaching.
And if briefly introduce the stages of development of coaching in the world community, we can distinguish five basic steps:
1) with the closure of the 19th century – occurrence and formation;
2) the middle and the end of the 80s of the 20th century – the spread and prosperity;
3) the beginning of the 90s of the 20th century – differentiation;
4) the beginning and the end of the 90s of the 20th century – promotion;
5) since the first years of the 21st century – a recess in professionalism.
The essence of coaching is to create an environment conducive to human development, promotion of the development process, training, disclosure of internal capacity to achieve maximum results. Coaching aims to address and improve the state of the situation in the present and the future.
Coaching in the organization – is to find the resources and reserves within the company, realizing the potential of people, managers, learning to think in a new way, at the level of managing the mission, values and beliefs. Whereas previously there was an opinion that the best results from employees can be achieved through the establishment of normal working conditions and the use of tangible and intangible methods of stimulation, the followers of the coaching is determined that every person has a certain creative potential and ability to independently solve many problems, taking responsibility.
And any changes, even better, cause resistance. This is normal. As studied in the theory and practice of resistance comes adoption stage, the “unfreezing” (by Kurt Lewin), and traffic or final denial when misunderstanding and lack of communication culture.